Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Last Straw

Today's bloggness is not the happy joyful sort. I've been really emotional and wanting to bawl the past few days--I think from the Post Holiday Grumpiness
Syndrome (PHGS)--and today's little "incident" was the last straw.

I woke up this morning and decided that I would go to church with Aunt Kaye because I like that better than going to my church and sitting alone. I showered and got all dolled up and headed out the door. Only to my surprise and dismay, back passenger side window had been broken. Not just cracked, but shattered into a million pieces. I don't think shock is a good enough word to explain what happened next, but it is as good a word as I can come up with. I froze and had no idea what to do. Since my brain was shut down, I got out the cell phone and started calling people hoping they could tell me what to do. Right about this same time I became truly hysterical. I was sobbing so hard that it's probably a good thing that I couldn't really get a hold of anyone. I finally got a hold of Kesk, who was home from church presumably because she doesn't feel well, though I don't know for sure because I was too upset about me to ask about her. (So, I hope you feel better, Kesk.) She's my number one go-to-girl when I just need someone to be nice to me and to let me bawl at them. She suggested I file a police report. That was the moment it occurred to me that someone did this on purpose. I do teach 14 year olds and I know how destructive they sometimes like to be in the name of "fun". I wasn't in love with that idea, so I called my insurance first. They were very helpful in telling me it would be pretty expensive to fix. The nice man one the phone asked me if I had a cold, which was the wrong thing to ask, because I started crying hysterically at him too. I think he was pretty sorry he asked. He had a hard time understanding me after that because of the crying.

While one the phone with the insurance man, the Eaves came home from church to grab something. I was glad because they knew what to do. They had me call the police and then Randy stayed home from church to help me clean it all up. I'm very grateful. He taped the window up for me and I must admit it is pretty gettorific.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so very sorry. I hope this all gets sorted out soon! I love you!
Plus, just in case you were wondering, I didn't do it.

Hillary said...

I am pretty sure I didn't do it either. But there are a few minutes in the night that can't be accounted for. I am so sorry for your ruckus and I love your guts. Plus also, remember I would give you a kidney.

Shelly & Danny said...

Much improved now Shan, if I do say so myself:) I'm sorry you were so hysterical, you can call me anytime, I'd stay home from church to talk to you:)

Joanie said...

Oh, Honey, that's awful... I'm so sorry that your window was broken. Was anything missing? This is always so hard when we become the victim!
Love you lots.
Grammie

Anonymous said...

You have a silly cat. He goes in funny places. His eyes are SO blue! Love, Makenzie Ruth Carpenter