Friday, February 27, 2009

Out of the Closet

I constantly have this fight with myself about the clothes in my closet. Some of them are so old and ratty that I'm not sure they are fit to wash my cat's bum with, much less wear in public. I am not a hoarder, and to be honest I get downright giddy when I sort and throw things away. So this closet business makes me crazy. I've decided that I just need to make my peace with it and this is why:

This is my favorite black skirt. It is a skirt that I inherited from my Inkey friend. That's not her name, but for reasons that are starting to become fuzzy to me, that's what I call her. She and I were mission companions in Los Angeles, plus, also, roommates after plus, also, I love her very guts to this day even though she bailed on me and moved to St. George. This skirt is no less than 11 years old, but I wear it at least 3 times a week. Every Sunday and for at least 2 Mary Kay functions. You cannot see, but the thread is unraveling from the elastic, the hem has fallen out in a couple of places, and it has a discolored spot you can see on the bottom left that is lighter than the rest of the skirt.


This sweatshirt is also from my Inkey friend. It doesn't fit anymore, and as you can see, I have painted many things while in that thing. Every color has a memory for me. I tend to be the kind of girl that only gets excited about physical labor when it involves getting to spend time with someone I love. I'll happily shovel rocks all day long as long as you are there with me. Tell me to do that same chore all by myself, and you may not be in love with the response I give you. So, all of those paint splotches are memories of relationships I've built over a can of paint.

This is my religious shirt. I put something black inside of it so you can see how "holy" it is. Inkey also gave me this shirt, only I believe I keep it around to see just how long I can wear it before it literally disintegrates. I sleep in that thing 3 or 4 nights a weeks. Every time I wash it, I wonder if it is the last.


These are shoes I bought while I was on my mission. They are also 11 years old, and I still wear them. Maybe I shouldn't. They are pretty sad.


These are my monkey jammies. I wore out the crotch, but I will be fixing them and wearing them forever. I do not wish to be disowned by Kesk and the zoo animals that live with her because it is a rule in that house that you must own some monkey jammies. I don't remember, because I don't remember lots of things, but I might have started that rule myself. Whether I started it or not, I do recall buying more than one pair of monkey jammies for that zoo.

These two shirts were my brother, Larry's favorite shirts at the time he died 12 years ago this month. The shirt that says, "Greece" is from a restaurant that he used to take me to in Chapel Hill, NC. The other is Richard Petty's race car. If you don't know who Richard Petty is, then I'd have to say that you are obviously an uncultured swine, because he is the king of NASCAR. Nobody loved Richard Petty like my brother. If my house was burning down, I'd grab these two shirts and maybe my cat.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

I mended today, so if you need some monkey drawers sewed up I will do it. But only cuz I love your guts, holy or not. I also was going to threaten about removing those very guts I love if you were gonna throw out your brothers shirts. Cuz, even I know you shouldn't.

Hillary said...

Plus, also you should throw out those mission shoes. They are not my favorite, and you are.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

The mission shoes look comfy. Your previous blogger--whose guts I love, by the way--was willing to get her toe surgerized and cranked and why? So she could wear cute high heels. So, keep the mission shoes if you are on your feet all day. Wear killer cute socks as an antidote.

And the other clothes? If this is all you have that are questionable you are a saint. I have a closet full--and I mean FULL--of clothes that are too little. I'm saving them for spontaneous thinness, which, as you may know, isn't likely to happen. Can I give them away? No. Will I? No. Will your previous toe-cranking blogger give them away when I am dead and gone? So fast it will all be a blur. She will snot and cackle as she's doing it too. She may even wave them in the air and say, "See this? It's going!"

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Well, she probably won't "snot" but she might "snort."

foreverlaym said...

I have to admit that it was funny to see some of the stuff you still have that you inherited from me. I forgot about all of the clothes that I gave you. Did I outgrow them that fast or was I just buying new clothes all the time? I don't remember. You can throw away all of those old Inkey clothes if you want to and I won't be offended. I've got some more in my closet right now that you can have.

Oh, and you started calling me Inkey because you were thinking off all the ways you could say my last name (Ence) wrong and "Inkey" was one of them. It stuck.

Jessica said...

Yes, you started the monkey jammies rule and you bought at least two. Plus it is the most wonderful rule that there ever was. So, let that one very adorable young lady who offered mend them for you just in case you ever need to spend the night at my house. Plus also, if you want to paint in that painting shirt again, I have a few ideas...