Saturday, November 14, 2009

Polyanna

When I was in the 4th grade I read the book Pollyanna. It became my favorite book and I was mad at that Haley Mills for making a movie about it that wasn't as good as my imagination. Only that's not my point, just a bitter side note. My point is that Pollyanna always played the glad game. No matter what the horribleness, she managed to find something to be glad about it. Today I decided to play the glad game. Here is the horribleness that I'm having to find gladness about:



I think that snow and cold is in my top 3 things that I don't love.  One thing that I do love about it is that it puts me in the mood for this:

I LOVE Christmas and Christmas lights.  I decided that if it was going to look like Christmas outside, then I'd enjoy my lights on the inside.  Hank enjoys them as well.  

The snow and cold also makes me want to have this:

I think that wassail is one of the few redeeming qualities of winter.  I love the orangey, spicey, sugary goodenss.  So, I had some today.  Since I've still got a yucky head and throat, it was a pleasure.  Only there was something that was even more of a pleasure than the wassail:

Yup, my mug has a cat in the bottom of it that peeks out at you as you drink your beverage.  When I was a wee one my mama's cousin Hazel had a mug with a frog in the bottom of it.  One day she made me some hot chocolate and told me that if I'd drink it all, there was a surprise for me at the bottom of the mug.  Can you imagine the delight of my 4 year old heart when I saw that frog?  My sister bought me this cat mug several years ago because she knew how much I loved that frog mug.  So, I'm glad that the cold brings Christmas and wassail and cat mugs.

4 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I don't know, Shan. That cat is standing in something that looks suspicious.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Ha! The word verification was "Hurbilly." Close to home?

Joanie said...

First off... I'm sorry that those lovely snow pictures are not you favorite. I love the snow! Second, thank you for this wonderful story about you, and Pollyanna, and frog-mugs, and sisters.
Love you.

Jessica said...

I'm not in love with the cold and snow, either. But your photos were lovely and I bet that wassail was wonderful in your sicky throat (and on your tongue, of course). And is that Lynne lady in trouble or what? First the anonymous stalker comment and then the hurbilly comment? Let's egg her house. Or maybe just be friends because she cracks us up...