Monday, October 5, 2009

Bug Problem

For some reason I have HUGE bugs at my house.  I didn't take a photo, but I came home from school a few weeks ago and there was a grasshopper the size of my door knob.  Plus, also, if you don't remember the humongo wasps nest outside my door, what that humongo wasps lived in, I'll remind you:


Then one day I walked out of my door and saw this guy staring up at me:

What is he anyway?  An albino Preying Mantis perhaps?  And just incase you don't believe me that he was huge, I've given you a point of reference:

Almost as big as my glasses, I tell you.

One night a week or so ago I saw this thankfully dead guy on my rug:

Yup, one inch with all of his dead legs crumpled up under him.  I don't want to think what he looked like when he's legs were fully functioning.  I think Hank should be earning his keep and killing those kinds of critters.

This green thing was on my door frame:

I don't know for sure what he is, but since he looks like a big leaf with legs, I'm calling him a leaf bug.

Then, if you think all of those things are scary, hold on to your britches because I found the biggest varmint I ever met in my house.  I put it next to a ruler so you could see how gigantic it really is:



5 comments:

Joanie said...

OK Shan, you will appreciate the timing here. I just finished reading your bug post and could hear Harley gnawing on something. I thought it was one of his many toys bought for that purpose. When I looked down he was gnawing on a 2" long GRASSHOPPER! Ick!

PS They all want to come inside too where it is warm!

Hillary said...

I will tell you the why. The why is because you have a big gapping crack under your front door where all the bugs can come in and feel your nice toasty floors. A crack so big that they don't even have to scrunch under it, they just moasy right in. The end.

Jessica said...

Well, except for the spider and wasps, they were cool bugs. Those toasty floors are enough to lure me, so I'm with Hillyerie's theory.

Amber said...

I think the green bug is a katydid. But I don't want to know what a katydon't looks like. The spider totally creeps me out! Thanks for getting me ready for Halloween.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, creepy. And huge. And scary--that spider. Now I'm going to have bad dreams. At least I don't have to read that bad book.

Hank is the winner. Unless you measure me. And then we'd all be freaked out.