Monday, March 23, 2009

Grumpy Bum

I had to pull out the angry eyes again. The culprit:
Sure it looks harmless enough. You may even think cute with that photo of those three zoo animals on it. However, it has caused me over 3 hours of anguish. I keep having problems with the cord that charges it. I've replaced it and I tell you it is at no small price. $89 of no small price to be exact. However, either the cord or the computer has a short in it and if you don't hold it just right, it doesn't connect and then it doesn't charge the battery. This evening I was minding my own business and it decided not to work at all. It got angry with me and told me that it only had 5% of the battery and if I didn't plug it in then too bad for me because no computer. I jiggled it, and jiggled it, and jiggled it. Usually it works by about the 2nd jiggle. Not tonight, I tell you. I started feeling panicky and decided the only thing to do was to shake it and yell at it, and beat that cord because that always helps.
This table is supposed to look a little ratty and beaten, but that one hole was a casualty. I finally got in the car and drove to Orem to get a new cord. Beings as I live in inner outer Mongolia, that was no small drive. 25 minutes each way, in fact. I spent another $89 on that cord and brought it back home. I was feeling confident enough that it would work. Confident enough that I stopped in to this new shoe place next door to Best Buy called Shoe Carnival. It's brand new and has all manner of cute shoes. I did not buy, but I did lust. When I got home I opened up the new cord and guess what. It did not work. I was in all manners of despair and decided that I'd try to shut it down and just hope for the best. I had not tried that before, because I feared if I did, that'd be the end and all of my photos and documents on the computer would be lost forever. I shut it down and lo and behold, it worked. Apparently, the problem was not a cord problem, but the screen got froze with that meany message about the not charging. I wanted to laugh and cry but mostly I wanted to save everything on my computer to a thumb drive for safe keeping. So I did. The end.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I am sorry about your misadventure. But, when I saw the first picture, I thought you were grumpy bum because of us for some reason. So, I'm a little relieved that it is just that your computer has sprouted a persona and is plotting against you. No biggie.

foreverlaym said...

Everything from your computer fit on a thumb drive? Must be one heck of a thumb drive. We have all of our important stuff saved on an external hard drive and it's almost full. Maybe we're just digital pack rats. That's probably it.

Hillary said...

I know not of what you speak? What the heck is an external hard drive or a thumb drive? I am out of the knowledge loop I guess.

Computer contraptions skay me.

I wish comment areas had a spell check too.

Amber said...

I am right there with ya. Computers have their own evilness that they like to pull out and use at the most inopportune moments. Hope your new cord works wonders for you. Good luck!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

How did the surgery go? Are you all bound up like a wounded bird? I hope you will recover quickly. Post pictures. Well, when you are mobile, that is. Get well soon.

Ha, the word verification was "nique."