Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Two Things

I know two things this day:

1. I went to the doctor and we had a good visit about my pitiful arm. I actually told him that we were not friends anymore and that he should be ashamed wearing such a bright, happy tropical shirt when I'm doing my best to be mad at him. He laughed because I don't think he took me seriously. His nice medical assistant lady took out my 3 baby stitches and told me it all looked great. That's funny, because it doesn't FEEL great. Mr. Tropical Shirt Doctor Guy came back into the room and sidled himself right up next to me on the table so he could show me all my photos and tell me about them. He just plopped himself down like we were old friends about to look over some photos of the cruise we went on together last fall. He was starting to grow on me and I found it harder to be mad at him. Basically, my shoulder was really owie, but in a good way. He did have to clean out jacked-up cartilage and shave some bone off, but there was no damage that he couldn't fix me up good as new. He assured me that when I saw him next, I'd be bringing him cookies because I'd be sooooooo glad he inflicted all this pain. We'll have to see about that. What I am looking forward to is the arm wrestling contest he promised me on my next visit. Apparently, if I can beat him when I go back in 5 weeks, then I'm all better and I don't have to go back any more. I hope he wears one of those t-shirts that makes it look like you are all muscley when we arm wrestle.

2. I also know that I am not appreciative of "Touched by an Angel" on this day. I'm guessing you all remember the show that used to be filmed in Utah. The storyline is the same for all the shows: Someone is sad, or mad, or hurt, and the angels come and show them how to make peace with God and that He loves them. It's on the Hallmark Channel every morning. I'm personally a fan of this show because I get the warm fuzzies every time I watch it and "7th Heaven". This morning, however, they took it too far. It was about a kid named Petey that was dying. He had a single mom (Wynona Judd) and a cute little best friend. He made a list of things to get done before he died and of course they were all wonderful, thoughtful things not for himself, but for his mom and friend. He wanted his mom to finish writing a song she started when he was born, his friend to meet Celine Dion, a flag in his yard telling the angels where to find him when he died, and several other things for his mom. The last 2 minutes of the show, his mom had finished that song and everybody he knew was in his yard singing it to him as his little friend raised the flag that said, "Petey lives here." And wouldn't you know it, he took that very minute to die and I cried and cried and I'm very angry with those Touched by an Angel people. If I wanted to be depressed and cry all the day I'd have watched "Little House on the Prairie" or maybe The Notebook.


This is Petey. Only don't get too attached, because he's dead. Nobody told me ahead of time to not get too attached.

Those are the 2 things I know this day.

5 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, you are too funny. I have to say that surgery has activated your funny bone. I don't get the Hallmark channel so all I've got is people buying houses for a million dollars--the nerve--and people making food I can't eat--the nerve--and raunchy, sexy, kill-um-dead stuff--the immoral nerve and a bunch of other stuff that is boring or immoral. WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH THIS NATION? Oh, sorry.

Go watch MASH. Really you should be in bed.

Joanie said...

Don't you just want to bite somebody when they do that to you? I went to see *Beaches* not having any idea what it was about... I was depressed for weeks (too close to home).

Love you lots... get better soon.
Grammie

foreverlaym said...

There should be a little consolation in the fact that "Petey" looks like a big nerd. What's up with those glasses?!? Love your guts!

Jessica said...

All I can say is that I'm sorry. And your doctor wears tropical shirts? And you trusted him?

Venise said...

oh Shan sorry it was so bad for you. The wounds on your shoulder with the steri strips look just like mine. Do you have a horrendous bruise on your arm? My bruise looked like my arm had been through a meat grinder. Well maybe not quite that bad. But when my grandson saw the bruise he told me, don't you think you should hide that grandma? It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and my arm aches when I type too much. I can't imagine typing such a long post as you did only a week after surgery. So are you scheduled for physical therapy? I won't lie about that - it hurts but it is supposed to make my arm work like it used to 10 years ago so I mostly do what I'm told. Actually my physical therapist is very gentle and kind, but it still hurts. When will you go back to school? Soon we will compare battle scars. Sorry it was so bad. You forgot to ask for the motion sickness patch. I'm sure that is what kept me from throwing up after surgery.Take Care. Venise