Monday, September 7, 2009

Good Eggs

I bet none of you know just how pitiful my life has been the last couple of summers. I will now tell you. I live in Payson, America. I've lived here since June 1, 2008. That is not the pitiful part because I happen to love it here. I love it here more than any other place I've lived in Utah and I've lived many places: Lehi, Pleasant Grove, Cedar Hills, Orem, and Provo. Here's the pitiful part...I happen to live almost exactly across the street from the big park here. I guess that's not exactly the pitiful part yet because I love that park, too. It's a nice park and two times a year they have a huge carnival there. Once in early summer for Scottish days and then again on Labor Day weekend for Onion days. Did I mention that I love carnivals? I love the booths, the food (especially the food), the rides, the people, and even the heat. I love ALL of it. (Only maybe not the clowns if there are any because clowns are scary and if you think I'm kidding you'd be wrong.) Here has been my dilemma and the source of my pitifulness...for 2 summers now I have not been able to go to the carnivals that are almost exactly across the street from my house. Why, you ask? Because I also happen to teach jr. high kids in this same town. As far as kids are concerned I'm not really a person because I'm their teacher. If I were to show up at the carnival to enjoy a good scone, for example, I would run into no less than 32 kids that I currently teach or have taught in one of my past 8 years here. This is not a problem at all if someone were with me also enjoying a scone, perhaps. However, without a good-time carnival friend with me I'd look like a creepy old maid cat lady that is too weird to even have friends. Jr. high kids are not just mean to each other, they are terrible to weirdo teachers too. I know this because we have a couple of them at my school. One guy is rumored to live in his mom's basement growing frogs. The other is said to sit at home all by herself all evening picking at her mustache. In the kids defense, these teachers are kind of creepy weird and I must take care not to turn into one of them. Hanging out alone at a place made for fun and friends might just be the thing that does it. This summer, however, I fixed that and forced this girl to the carnival with me since she lives close and has kids that likes that kind of business: All 2 of you that read my blog probably recognize her as that Hillyerie girl. We had a good time even if she did get stuck in the parade, have to walk 60 miles from her car to the carnival, not get a ride the 60 miles back to her car because my car was blocked into my driveway, lose her car, and once she finally got to her car, it had a flat tire. Her first flat tire ever. She will probably blog more fully about it all. I just mention it all because I think she's a good egg for coming to be my carnival date and having a good time despite all that. At least she pretended to have fun and that's enough for me. The girls had fun:

Oh, and this is Maddy looking all dramatic in front of the flat tire:
At first she smiled but I made her frown because flat tires aren't happy. Her dad came and rescued us. He's a good egg too. All I can hope is that by next year Hillyerie has forgotten the trauma of this year and will be my date again.

3 comments:

Joanie said...

Does this mean that I am one of the two that read your blog?... cuz I do! Fun story about your carnival and poor Hilyarie's flat tire.
Hugs...

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

She IS a good date and I'm glad she was yours. I wanna scone. I don't wanna ride the merry-go-round. I don't wanna flat tire. But I'm glad the fixer of flat tires came to the rescue.

You will never be weird. Okay, you will be wierd but not the way you meant it. Weird like "Oh, my gosh, she is so fun," sort of weird because everyone else is dull and crunch like carrots. Your are like Juicy Fruit gum only the flavor never goes away.

Hillary said...

Good Weird- that is what we are. And,
"oh my gosh, we are so fun" I am glad we went. Thanks for the fun, 'friend'.